Welcome to 2023. Our goal is to get you moving a little bit every day while also providing you with support and useful information along the way.
Visit daily for exercises, tips, and more!
Good Vibes Workout Day 20: Hello, High Intensity!
We’ll pick the interval; you pick the exercise.
From Self Magazine-By Amy Eisinger, M.A., C.P.T.
The workout below is for Day 20 of the Good Vibes Workout, a four-week workout plan. It’s pretty great on its own, but you can also check out the full program right here or browse the calendar here. If you’d like to sign up to receive daily emails of these workouts, you can do that here.
We’re back with another cardio day—and your last workout of Week 3. As with your previous cardio workouts, these routines are flexible and easy to tailor to your mood and energy level. You can use the time intervals listed below and walk, jog, run, cycle, row, or use an elliptical machine.
If you’re taking this program to a gym, might we also suggest trying a few different cardio modalities just to keep things interesting? For instance, you could do Circuit 1 on the treadmill, then do Circuit 2 on a rower, then jump back on a treadmill for Circuit 3. Or you could row, walk, bike. Or, depending on your energy level, you could jog during Circuit 1, walk during Circuit 2, and finish with a run during Circuit 3.
For your reference, here are our guidelines for RPEs (ratings of perceived exertion):
- RPE 0: At rest.
- RPE 1: Very light effort. You can easily hold a conversation.
- RPE 2–3: Your warm-ups, cooldowns, and recovery intervals. You can speak comfortably in full sentences.
- RPE 4–5: Moderate effort. Talking in more than a sentence or two at a time is difficult.
- RPE 6–7: High, vigorous effort. You can only speak a few words or phrases at a time—not full sentences.
- RPE 8–9: Very hard effort. Talking is almost impossible. Maybe you can muster a breathless “yes” or “no.”
- RPE 10: All out, maximum effort. Talking is out of the question.
Go ahead and give today your best shot! You’ve got a rest day tomorrow, and you’re nearing the final week of this program—which makes it a great time to step up your own intensity.
Cardio: Hello, High Intensity!
- 5-minute warm-up (RPE 2–3)
- 20-second moderately hard intensity (RPE 5–6)
- 40-second recovery (RPE 2–3)
- Repeat 5 times total
- 40-second moderate intensity (RPE 4–5)
- 20-second recovery (RPE 2–3)
- Repeat 5 times total
- 10-second hard intensity (RPE 7–8)
- 50-second recovery (RPE 2–3)
- Repeat 2 times total
- 5-minute sustained moderate intensity (RPE 4–5)
- 8-minute easy cooldown (RPE 2–3)
Total time: 30 minutes