In the documentary The Game Changers, Tennessee Titan Linebacker Derrick Morgan talks about his transformation to a plant-based diet and how it dramatically improved his performance. His wife, Charity Morgan, a professionally trained chef, makes his meals and delivers them to the practice facility so that he can keep up with his plant-based diet.
At first his teammates would “rib” him about his food and diet, but pretty quickly they started seeing how good it looked and tasted. Eventually, Charity was cooking for a dozen of his teammates as well! They all noticed what a difference it made in their recovery and performance. Funny enough, that season was the first time the Tennessee Titans had made the playoffs in several years!
At the end of the The Game Changers documentary, there were outtakes and additional interviews, and they showed Charity Morgan cooking for Derrick and his teammates. One of their favorite recipes she made was “Potachos”!
Potatoes + Nachos = Potachos!
I had never heard of Potachos, but it looked amazing and I decided I needed to try to recreate it! It’s really like nachos, but over roasted potatoes which is a lot healthier than oily chips.
This Vegan Southwestern Potatchos Recipe is oil-free, dairy free, and low sodium. Unless of course, you add more salt.
Dairy Free Nacho Cheese Sauce
The most important part of this recipe is the Dairy Free Nacho Cheese sauce recipe that you can find here.
It only takes about 25 minutes to make and you can make the nacho cheese sauce while you are roasting the potatoes for the potachos. Or make it ahead of time and just reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds or warm over the stove top.
Vegan Southwest Potachos Toppings
You can top your potatoes nachos however you like, but I decided to go with a southwestern flair. I am from Texas!
Here are the toppings I used:
- Healthy Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Green Onions
- Black Olives
- Jalapeno slices
No-Oil Roasted Potatoes for the Potato Nacho Base
I love the roasted potatoes and if you use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, you don’t need any oil or cooking spray whatsoever! I recently got some non-stick silicone baking mats on Amazon Prime Day and I LOVE THEM! They are truly non-stick and VERY easy to clean up. Usually I just rinse them off in hot water and then pat dry. Sometimes if they are a little extra dirty, I’ll throw them in the dishwasher. These are the ones I bought, but there are many brands on Amazon.
I cut my potatoes into 1 inch cubes, but you could also slice them into thick slices if you prefer them a little crispier or like potato chips.
This easy, healthy, no-oil, dairy free “potachos” recipes combines delicious Vegan Nacho Cheese sauce & Oven roasted potatoes. Potato Nachos! Add lots of toppings like black beans, guacamole, green onions, black olives, cilantro, and jalapenos for a kick!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 cups Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup black beans, drained low sodium
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, low sodium
- green onions, chopped
- 1 cup avocado slices or guacamole
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- sliced jalapeños optional
- Preheat oven to 475º F. Wash and chop the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Spread in 1 layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce – https://simplyplantbasedkitchen.com/2019/09/18/healthy-vegan-nacho-cheese-recipe/
- Once the potatoes are done, scoop some onto a plate and top with nacho cheese sauce, black beans, corn, green onions, diced tomatoes, avocado slices, black olives, cilantro and jalapeños if desired. Serve immediately!
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 371mg | Potassium: 1988mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 400IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 198mg | Iron: 15mg